How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 year old son is concerned that a friend is being physically

Resolved Question:

My 19 year old son is concerned that a friend is being physically abused by her mother. She is 15, and lives in another state. What advice can he give her to get her out of the abusive household? It is just her mother and her. I think his hands are tied but said I'd get a professional opinion.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - He can tell her to call the police and ask for help or to talk to her teachers or minister etc. Your son can take the initiative and contact child protective services in the county where the child resides. CPS can then launch an investigation into the allegations. Obviously there's nothing your son can do directly but if there is a child being abused someone needs to step in and assist. There's nothing wrong with calling in an anonymous tip to CPS or even the police.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, that's good advice. How do I stop him from this - he thinks he will drive to her home and stay with her and help her thru this. I told him that's not legal in any state because of the age difference. I don't think he should be anywhere near her. He says her mental state is also at risk... he picked a mess to get into.


Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
He should stay away from her and her house and let the authorities handle this. I don't know how he knows this girl but messing around with underage girls is very risky business and he will end up losing. He's an adult and can do what he pleases but going to her house is the last thing he should be doing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are there any options besides foster care?

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Well I don't know the girl's family situation and whether there are other family members etc. There's always the possibility of counseling and solving the situation with the mother so there are options but the point is that the abuse, if it is real, needs to be stopped. Whatever the options may be they are better than living in an abusive household.
Dave Kennett and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you