JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

My ex wife got a restraining order put on her sister

Customer Question

My ex wife got a restraining order put on her sister prohibiting any contact between her and our twin daughters who were minors at the time. My daughters are now 19 and want the order removed but my ex wife refuses. How can they get the order removed?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
They can file a Motion to Dissolve or Amend Order and ask the court to change it. Since they are adults the judge is likely to do it, although they will probably want to hire a lawyer to help them because the procedure is a little complicated.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like but I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked.
I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOW do they file a motion to Dissolve or Amend. The fact that they have to file one of those was readily available on Google (ask.com)
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but your facts didn't indicate that you knew that prior to my answer and it is the correct and only answer to your question "How can they get the order removed?".
We can't provide exact instructions on how to file the papers because that is forbidden by the site rules as well as the State Bar. I can tell you that you can go to the clerk's office and find a copy of one filed in another case, along with any attachments, and use it as a guide but they are extremely complicated in a case like this because technically they weren't parties to the case in the first place.