How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get custody of my dog from a ex?

Customer Question

How do I get custody of my dog from a ex?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

What type of law firms did you contact? Were you married to your ex?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I contacted any civil lawyers and even tried contacting city and town courts. No i was not married to him just boyfriend
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

yes, you would need a court order of ownership regarding the pet which would typically require that a lawsuit be filed in the local court.

This type of matter is often handled by family law attorneys since they engage in litigation with regard to ownership of property often. So I would seek a family law attorney to represent you in this matter.

Here is a link to the state bar association's attorney referral service which can provide you with a referral to a family law attorney:

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor. I would be happy to clarify my answer if anything is not clear or you are looking for additional information. All the best to you!