How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is moving to Arizona. He has a daughter in Connecticut

Resolved Question:

My son is moving to Arizona. He has a daughter in Connecticut who he has been paying support payments on since 2005. He is not listed on the birth certificate, however paternity was determinted by a DNA test. We would like to know how to get visitation legally established as his daughters mother uses this a leverage every chance she gets that he cannot see his daughter.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

He can get visitation established any time he wants. All he will need to do is file a Petition for Custody/Visitation with the court in the county where his daughter resides and the court will grant him visitation. The fact that he is not listed on the birth certificate is a non-issue.

While the visitation will be infrequent, based on living on the opposite side of the country from his daughter, he will get longer periods of visitation consisting of a week or more on several holidays throughout the year and a large chunk of time in the summer---typically 4 to 6 week in a row which he may have her come out to AZ to visit him. Additionally, if he is willing to travel to CT, the court will allow him regular visitations while he is in the area.

I hope that you found my answer informative, that you are accepting of my efforts and that you will rate my efforts based on the knowledge I have provided to you.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you.

LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you