How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Maricopa County in Arizona. My ex-wife and I used

This answer was rated:

I live in Maricopa County in Arizona. My ex-wife and I used a joint lawyer for our divorce 8 years ago and they worked out all of the details without my input. But I didn't know my rights and my ex-wife gave herself full custody. My daughter is 12 now and I have no holidays or summer vacation with her. My ex-wife won't compromise and now I want joint custody and more rights regarding her education and health decisions that are being made. I pay almost $800 a month in child support and all of her medical insurance, yet I have no rights. What are my chances of getting joint custody?
Dear JACUSTOMER - The court has jurisdiction over the child issues until the child is 18 so you can file a motion for a change of custody and/or visitation at any time. You can and should base your motion on "changed circumstances" which can be the fact that your child is older an you want to be more involved in your daughter's life and activities. Having one lawyer in a divorce is always a bad idea since a lawyer can only represent one party. There's simply no reason that you should not have more time with your child and my opinion is that the family law court would agree. Whether it will have much effect on the child support I cannot say since that is based on the respective incomes of the parties and pre set tables created by the state. If you have never had an adjustment for support it could be the support would not change even if you had more time with your child. The figures would have to be run by the court or your attorney if you choose to hire counsel for this motion.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions