Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Family law My daughter is 1 month old and the father is

Customer Question
Family law My daughter is 1...
Family law

My daughter is 1 month old and the father is not on the birth certificate. I moved out of country with my daughter recently. Can the father file for paternity in the US?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome,

Was your daughter born in the United States?
yes
I see.

Then a court in the state where she was born normally would have jurisdiction over the paternity case until residency is established somewhere else. It typically takes 6 months or so to establish residency in a new state or country, so if he files promptly, a US court could retain jurisdiction over the matter.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor. I would be happy to clarify my answer if anything is not clear or you are looking for additional information. All the best to you!

and what happens if we are not there?

You should retain a family law attorney in the location where the petition is filed to represent you.

If you are served with the petition and fail to respond, the father will normally obtain whatever relief from the court that he is seeking.

how are we served with the petition if we don't have an attorney there and he could get paternity without a DNA test?

He would typically need to hire a process server where you are located to have you served.

If he admits to paternity, the court could grant his request to establish paternity without a DNA test.

Even if I am not sure if he is the father?

If you do not contest the matter by failing to appear, then it would be granted normally.

I am not a US citizen, what if I turn in my green card to prove different residence?

That would not prevent the court from taking jurisdiction of the case normally. I'm sorry, but if he files a petition, it would typically be best to respond to the allegations and defend in the matter if you do not wish him to obtain the relief requested.

ok but they have to serve me first right? I am worried he will open a case and i never find out.

Yes, the law requires that you be served first.
Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer