How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Morning. My minor boy child who resides with his mom is

Resolved Question:

Good Morning. My minor boy child who resides with his mom is experiencing anxiety and or panic attacks in school three weeks ago. The school counselor along with an Avow Hospice counselor has seen the boy and recommended to his mom that he see a child psychologist after learning from me that the boy was soiling himself less than a year ago in the waking hours and at bedtime at the moms residence. It has been ten days since she received a referral list of medical doctors for the boy to see. There has been no progress to date from the mom as far as I know to accomplish this and get the boy mental wellness help. She, the mom will not return any of my calls. What do I do ? This is serious. Call a State Agency ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are there court orders for custody, visitation, and child support?

What is your status with respect to those orders?

Do you have visitation at set times?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes we have been divorced 8 years, the age of the boy. Joint custody, mom is primary care giver. Visitation and child support are in place. Support is behind from my unemployment but being caught up slowly. Monthly payments being made through clerk of courts. Have not missed a payment in years,(since first unemployed 3 yrs ago) recently paying more than scheduled amount to get caught up. Visitation has been somewhat sporadic due to me working 2 part time jobs, night and weekends, however the mom has worked with me.

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If you have joint custody and you have visitation my suggestion is that you take your child to wherever he needs to go rather than waiting on Mom. Obviously you can file an action in the courts which gets expensive and takes time or you can act on your own during the time you have visitation. The other option is to contact child protective services and explain the situation and the fact that your child is not receiving proper and recommended care from the mother. Getting the mother to act could take forever so rather than wasting time it is probably better to simply handle the situation yourself.
Dave Kennett and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have been told by Doctor's admin staff that I need her consent in order for him to be seen though

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Generally when you have "joint" custody either parent can make these decision. Your only option is to either contact child protective services or file a motion with the court to amend the custody order to give you the authority from the court to make all medical decision based on the fact that the mother has neglected the situation.