How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is abusing his wife physically, emotionally and

Resolved Question:

My brother is abusing his wife physically, emotionally and mentally. Is there anything I can do to help? She is afraid to say or do anything for fear of retaliation at his hands.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this terrible situation.

Does your brother physically beats up his wife?

Can you describe to me what happened at a recent event?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The recent event was this: Her husband had to go to work in the afternoon after some ball games we were attending. She asked my brother to drop his vehicle off at his work and we would pick him up. Rather doing that he went to the park where the ball games were while we headed over to his work place to pick him up. When my sister in-law realized he wasn't there she physically started to shut down and nearly balled up into a fetal position. I had to calm her down and when he finally arrived I took the blame for the confusion so she wouldn't be in trouble. Other than she has told me how he lords his considerable size over her and physically pushes her into walls as well as various other types of abuse that happens.
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, while you can report any type of physical abuse to the police, it would generally require visible injuries on the wife and also unless the injuries are obvious and it is clear that they are caused by the brother, the wife would have to corraborate the report by making a statement that the brother had physically assaulted her.

It is extremely hard to do anything about the emotional and verbal abuse, when it comes to the domestic situation, such as you are describing, unless the victim is willing to report it or simply put an end to it by separating or moving away from the abuser or by obtaining a restraining order against the abusive spouse.

The best thing that you might be able to do in this type of situation, is to get convince your brother's wife to go to a domestic violence counselor, as it is obvious that she is suffering a battered woman's syndrome and therapy sessions with counselor might open her eye and she would see that she is the victim and she needs to do certain things to put a stop to this abuse.
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you