How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12249
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the first thing I should do? Go to the police and

This answer was rated:

What is the first thing I should do? Go to the police and file a police report? Can I use my divorce lawyer or I have to hire another lawyer?
Hi again.

The first thing to do would be to go to the police and file a report. If criminal charges are pressed and your wife is convicted, then you can use that conviction against her in a civil case. In other words, the prosecutor already did all of the work for you. Also, the criminal statute of limitations runs out first, so it's better to deal with the criminal issue first. When you sue, you can certainly use your divorce lawyer if he/she is willing to take the case. If not, then you'll need to hire a new lawyer. It's really just a matter of whether the divorce lawyer feels comfortable with that type of case.
TJ, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions