How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I have my divorce decree modified to change my daughters

Resolved Question:

Can I have my divorce decree modified to change my daughter's last name back to mine? I was not contesting the divorce and signed a waiver of service, not knowing it was going to affect her name.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Hello there


If you just recently signed a waiver of service it simply means that the other side does not have to formally serve you and prove to the court that you were formally served. You can certainly contact the court and find out exactly what is happening at this point in the divorce case and you can file a Motion to Contest Name Change of Minor Child. The best way to do this if you can afford it is to hire a local family law attorney and ask them to help you with this. Contact your local county bar association and ask for a referral to a local family attorney and you should get several names of lawyers to speak with in your area.




Legalease and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you