How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband left me July 1, 2011 and left a note. I have no

Customer Question

My husband left me July 1, 2011 and left a note. I have no way to get ahold of him but I want a divorce. How can I file?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Even if your spouse has disappeared, it's still possible to file for divorce. You can do so by retaining an attorney and she will handle all of the paperwork for you. Alternatively, you can file yourself using forms that are available at the Clerk of Court's Office (though I would highly recommend retaining an attorney). You would then need to serve him process, which requires locating him. The easiest and cheapest ways are to go through family and friends, use free search engines online, or to use a paid online person search. If those are not successful, you may need to hire a skip tracing company to find him. Ultimately, if you cannot find him, it's possible to ask the court to permit you to serve him through an alternative method, such as publication in the paper. Once approved and completed, the divorce can proceed, with or without him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cannot afford to retain an attorney and I've tried to locate him.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
If you cannot afford to retain an attorney, you'll have to file yourself. Again, there are forms at the Clerk of Court's Office available for that purpose. I understand that you've tried to locate him. However, the court may not consider simply asking family about his whereabouts to be enough. The court will want you to show that you've made reasonable efforts to have him served so that he can respond to the suit for divorce. That could include hiring a private investigator or a skip tracer to locate him. Once you've exhausted reasonable efforts, as explained previously, the court may permit you to use an alternative method of service, such as publication in the paper.
If you cannot afford an attorney, you may want to apply for free or discount legal services at a local legal clinic. They may provide you with assistance depending on the details of your circumstances.
AttorneyTom and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done more than simply ask family. Many months ago when he emailed he refuses to give me his where abouts. He graduated LPN school a year ago and I've gone Thru various boards of nursing. I have also done searches.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your message. There are many online directories you might try and I have included them below. You could also attempt contacting the DMV, city and county tax and recorder's offices, utility companies, and organizations with which he might have membership or licensure (it seems you've check ed those), etc. Once you feel you have exhausted reasonable efforts to locate him to serve him process, you can petition for alternative service and the the court may allow it.
Some more online directories:
Reverse Phone Book (
InfoSpace (
AnyWho (
Infobel ( - includes international directory information)
InfoSpace (
Lycos People Search (
Switchboard (
Superpages (
US Search (
Yahoo People Search (
ZabaSearch (
411 (

Related Family Law Questions