How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what rights do I (grandmother) have when I have been given

Resolved Question:

what rights do I (grandmother) have when I have been given joint custody of minor child with her mother
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Can you please provide me with a specific question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have raised this minor child 7yrs. been the sole financial source, everything, mother had full custody, but just came and went into the household, I filed suit in the courts for joint custody, or DeFacto Custodian, we had mediation, and the mother agreed to give me joint custody, with her being primary. Do I have the right to know when the mother takes the child out of the county? Also if she is sick, hospitalized, etc. will I be notified.=?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up and this clarification.

Do you have a custody / timesharing / parenting agreement filed and approved by the court?

Is it you or your daughter that has the residential custody of this child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The court made us go to mediation first, and where the agreement was made for joint custody, and visitation, the judge will sign off on it. Residential custody of child is with my daughter.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Did the agreement specify the terms such as either one of you traveling out of state/country?

Medical decisions? School related decisions? Etc...?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, joint custody means that you both have equal custody and the right to be involved in all important events and decisions concerning this minor child.

However, you will need to go back to the family court and to have the court address and order any specifics conditions, such as notice or consent to take the minor child out of state or country, medical notice, access to school records, etc...
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you