How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One more thing I forgot. I, say, youre low/0 income can court

Resolved Question:

One more thing I forgot. I, say, you're low/0 income can court appoint you a public attorney?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your new question and thank you very much for requesting me.

There's a common belief that court-appointed counsel is available for every type of legal matter. Unfortunately, that is a myth. Court-appointed counsel exists primarily for the purposes of criminal matters. This is because of the severity of the situation, as his freedom or life may be at stake. However, for other matters, an individual is not generally entitled to court appointed counsel. This is true with a divorce as well. Now, there are non-criminal, civil matters where the court appoints counsel. A court can appoint an attorney for a minor child in a divorce to represent that child's interests, or for an adult during guardianship proceedings to represent his interests. This is done because those individuals are generally regarded as being unable to look out for their own interests. However, court appointed attorneys are not available for a divorcing spouse.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm talking about custody only right now... I read on the court web site, that if you cannot afford the attorney, they will provide one if you can proof that you have 0 or low income


Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying. A recent bill, AB 590 recently expanded court-appointed counsel, has established that individuals may request court-appointed counsel for custody cases and other “civil matters involving critical issues affecting basic human needs." Therefore, a parent may be eligible for court-appointed counsel for a child custody matter. You can read the bill here:
An individual may be eligible if his or her household income falls at or below 200% of the federal poverty level. The link that follows lists some related pilot projects that an individual can contact directly for assistance:
AttorneyTom and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you