How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 26 years old and I was recently appointed to be my mothers

This answer was rated:

I am 26 years old and I was recently appointed to be my mother's conservator. She has limited funds and is servery handicapped. My father filed for a divorce however I am having a difficult time finding her a divorce attorney that will work on her case for a reasonable price as her case is very involved. Where can I find a lawyer in the state of CT that would be willing to assist us?
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
In all honesty, it might take some looking around. The real problem is that, even reasonable legal fees are very expensive, as legal services are simply an expensive thing to purchase (they usually start at around $200/hour and up). This is due to the high cost of practicing law. A divorce can be very expensive, and all you can do is ask each attorney what he will have to charge you. That said, an attorney can adjust his fees, accept payments, take credit cards, etc., so these are all things you can ask attorneys about when you call their offices. Two great search engines are and, and these search tools provide additional information about the attorneys that you can use to evaluate them.
If your mother can't afford representation, she may be eligible for discount or free assistance from a local legal clinic. Alternatively, she can petition the court to require your father to pay her attorney's fees and, if the court finds that she needs him to do so and that he is able, the court may do so.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would she qualify for free services since they are in debt. My parents on paper make a great deal of money but my dad's checks are being garnished for debt they have accumulated together. I was looking and I saw that in order to be eligible for free aid your income has to be below the federal povery level. Again on paper it looks as if she isn't but her funds are exhausted as soon as she gets them to cover the cost of a home health aid and a portion of the property that they own together.
Thank you for your reply.
Maybe, but not necessarily. Every local legal clinic has its own criteria for determining which clients to accept. It will liekly review her assets, debts, income, etc. However, again, even if she isn't eligible for discount or free services from a clinic, the court has the authority to order her spouse to pay her legal fees if he can afford to do so and if she cannot.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you