How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37022
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been married for 13 years and he brought

Resolved Question:

My husband and I have been married for 13 years and he brought a house while him and I were together, but my name is XXXXX XXXXX the house. We have a 13 year old son together and I want to know my legal rights
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.

Although LA is considered a community property state, that only applies to property or assets acquired during the marriage. Separate property brought into the marriage remains separate unless it is converted to marital property by an affirmative act. With real estate this is typically by adding a spouse to the deed or by refinancing the property in both spouses' names.
So if the property was acquired during the marriage, it would be split upon any divorce regardless of whether both spouses's names were on the deed. But if one spouse had it prior to marriage, it remains separate property.





If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.


If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.


Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you