Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband and I have been married for 13 years and he brought

Customer Question
a house while him and...
My husband and I have been married for 13 years and he brought a house while him and I were together, but my name is XXXXX XXXXX the house. We have a 13 year old son together and I want to know my legal rights
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Although LA is considered a community property state, that only applies to property or assets acquired during the marriage. Separate property brought into the marriage remains separate unless it is converted to marital property by an affirmative act. With real estate this is typically by adding a spouse to the deed or by refinancing the property in both spouses' names.
.
So if the property was acquired during the marriage, it would be split upon any divorce regardless of whether both spouses's names were on the deed. But if one spouse had it prior to marriage, it remains separate property.
.

.

Thanks.

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer