Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am representing my self in a grandparents visitation case,

Customer Question

I am representing my self in a grandparents visitation case, the hearing officer denied my request for visitation stating that according to RS:344, since my son is not deceased, incarcerated or interdicted, I am not allowed visitation. But wouldn't RS 344 (d) apply to me?? Should I appeal her ruling? She says I can appeal all the way to the supreme court and that I will lose...is this true? I only have 3 days to appeal...
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
LA RS 9:344D applies in situations where parents are divorced or separated for more than 6 months and allows a court discretion to award visitation in the best interests of the child. Additionally, LA Civil Code Article 136 works in conjunction with 9:344D, the court must consider the longevity and quality of your relationship with the child; your ability to provide needed guidance; the preference of the child, if the child is able to express a preference; your willingness to promote the child's relationship with the parent; and the mental and physical health of both the child and the relative.

Of course, in conjunction with both of those codes, the courts also must be mindful of the US Supreme Court's direction in Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57, 147 L.Ed. 2d 49, 120 S.Ct. 2054 (2000), where the court stated the lower courts must also consider that the rights of both parents in these cases are paramount to the rights of the grandparents to visitation.

Thus, you should file your appeal if you qualify under RS 9:344D and Article 136, keeping in mind the Supreme Court's determination as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all you did was quote the law....I already knew what it said...
I am sorry that you knew what the law said, but I also do not know any facts of your case as you did not disclose them, so I am afraid I could not give you an in depth analysis based on the lack of information from you as to whether or not you can appeal. In order to successfully appeal this matter you have to prove that this judge abused their discretion, since the statutes say that the court has discretion in granting or not granting the visitation. An abuse of discretion standard according to the LA Supreme Court Supreme is a "judgment call" based on whether or not the court has articulated legal basis for their decision. See: Coco v. Winston Industries, 341 So.2d 332 (La.1976). Thus, you have to show that the court did not have any legal basis from the facts at the hearing to reach this conclusion denying you the visitation rights.