How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was awarded a judgement of non-paternity on one of the 3 children named in my child supp

Resolved Question:

I was awarded a judgement of non-paternity on one of the 3 children named in my child support order. This order has been in place since 1994. I got behind, a little, and did not modifiy the order, but have never stop paying the support. My youngest child turned 17 in 2004. I am still paying to this date...No one will listen to me. This is in the state of Missouri. What is your advice on my course of action?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The court entered an order indicating that you were not the father, but required you to continue paying support for that child?

What are you trying to achieve here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was in the arrears of about $14,000 as of last month. This morning it went down to about $8835.00. It was ordered that all arrears and support for the one child be terminated. I have already payed in to the support over $50,000, when I was only obligated, from my calculations $36,000.00
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Yes, an order of non-paternity typically indicates that you are not the biological parent and your obligation to pay support is terminated, with no further payments being required.

So if you are being sought for payment of support on this child, you could normally use the order you obtained to avoid payment.

If a state agency is seeking payment, you would typically need to file suit against them seeking a declaration from the court that you do not owe any further support for the child since you are not the biological father and the court has ordered that you do not owe support, but you will need to obtain a copy of that court order.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the ACCEPT button and/or SMILEY FACE once I have answered your question. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I need to know who do I contact about the overpayment to get it credited to my existing balances, as I have already overpayed.

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Are the amounts being deducted from your wages pursuant to a wage garnishment order?

Who is compelling the overpayments from you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes they are being with held via wage garnishment. My Ex-wife, who filed the order in 1994.


Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

In that case, you would typically need to file a motion with the court to terminate the wage garnishment order since a court would have to enter an order to garnish your wages typically.

Then you could sue your ex separately to attempt to disgorge any overpayments she has received to which she is not entitled.
Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you