How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved in to help my parents five years ago .My father passed

Resolved Question:

I moved in to help my parents five years ago .My father passed away within 6 months , Istayed with my mother until I went to county jail for 6 months .My sister abtained power of attourney .I went back to take care of my mother .She was placed in a nursing home due to dementia and physical problems.Does the house haveto be sold to pay for the nursing home ? Do I have any right to stay in the house?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Assuming your mother has no other funds with which to pay the nursing home the house will have to be sold and the money used for her care until it is used up. Then she will be eligible for Medicaid. Unless you have some type of lease agreement or you are on the deed to the house you would have no right to occupy the dwelling. Of course if your sister as POA permits you to be there until it is sold then that would be fine but I know of no legal right you would have to your parents home.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you