How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce was finalized October 7th 2010. I have been trying

This answer was rated:

My divorce was finalized October 7th 2010. I have been trying numerous times since then to get a QRDO done to divide my ex-husbands 401k. He has either ignored my requests, simply said it's not on his priority list and never does it, or lies and says he did it, but cannot provide any documentation. I've even offered to do it myself, but he won't give me any of his information that I need in order to prepare the QRDO. Was is my recourse?

WebLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

WebLaw :

Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX shall do whatever I possibly can to provide you with helpful information about the law. Please keep in mind that, although I am an attorney, I am prohibited from giving customers of the site legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship on this forum.
If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

WebLaw :

You may consider bringing a contempt action to compel your ex to adhere to the order and cooperate in establishing the QDRO

Generally speaking, when someone violates the court orders they are considered to be in contempt of court. To enforce your rights you will need to file a motion for contempt (may also be called an motion to show cause). In that motion you indicate what the orders are and how he has violated them.

You can typically pick the forms up at the clerk of the court's office and file them yourself.


Thank you!

WebLaw :

Have I answered your question?

Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you