Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
11688690

I am currently receiving child support payments from my exspouse

I am currently receiving child support payments from my exspouse for our son. Our son turned 18 yrs old in February of this year. He is in high school full time but will graduate on June 1,2012. My son will be in full time college in the fall. Will child support continue while he is in college or should it stop on June 1,2012?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
In Illinois - generally, termination of support at 18; if child still in high school, support terminates at age 19 or graduation, whichever occurs first.

Additionally, 750 Ill. Law. Con. Stat. § 5/513 provides that the court may make provisions for the education expenses of the children of the marriage, whether of minor or majority age. Specifies that post-secondary support terminates when the child receives a baccalaureate degree.

So you can file a motion for post-secondary education to continue on until the child receives their college degree.

Moreover, the current child support order continues until the payor parent petitions for termination. When they do petition for termination - at that time you can counter-petition for post-secondary educational support.