How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently receiving child support payments from my exspouse

Resolved Question:

I am currently receiving child support payments from my exspouse for our son. Our son turned 18 yrs old in February of this year. He is in high school full time but will graduate on June 1,2012. My son will be in full time college in the fall. Will child support continue while he is in college or should it stop on June 1,2012?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
In Illinois - generally, termination of support at 18; if child still in high school, support terminates at age 19 or graduation, whichever occurs first.

Additionally, 750 Ill. Law. Con. Stat. § 5/513 provides that the court may make provisions for the education expenses of the children of the marriage, whether of minor or majority age. Specifies that post-secondary support terminates when the child receives a baccalaureate degree.

So you can file a motion for post-secondary education to continue on until the child receives their college degree.

Moreover, the current child support order continues until the payor parent petitions for termination. When they do petition for termination - at that time you can counter-petition for post-secondary educational support.
Law Pro and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you