How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Juliana Your Own Question
Juliana, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1651
Experience:  23 years of legal experience, former child support attorney, currently practicing family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Juliana is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you believe a small claims court would handle an issue that

Resolved Question:

Do you believe a small claims court would handle an issue that I consider an oral agreement or a verbal agreement?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question. I was a magistrate in small claims court in Ohio for 12 years, and I will be happy to assist you.


A verbal agreement is just as legitimate and binding as a written agreement, with the exception that a written agreement has visible proof and a verbal agreement often boils down to one person's word against the other.


Small claims courts, including those in Wisconsin, have limited jurisdiction. This means that by law, they can only decide certain types of cases. Under Wisconsin law, small claims courts can hear: claims for money in the amount of $10,000 or less; tort/personal injury actions where the amount claimed is $5,000 or less; eviction actions; replevins (i.e., the return of personal property).


Unfortunately, Wisconsin law does not permit small claims courts to hear the type of grievance you've described in your post.


Your remedy would be to continue to discuss the matter with the management at your facility in an attempt to persuade them to restore your swimming pool privileges. Hiring an attorney to assist you would likely be very helpful, as attorneys can often be more effective in such situations. An attorney could also recommend additional remedies, perhaps even injunctive relief.


Hope this helps. Good luck.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Within the past 30 days our facillity has sold the portion of the facility that contained the swiming pool. Do I or any lawyer no longer have a case. In other words would you say I have de ad issue.
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.



Since the swimming pool has been sold and it is no longer available for your use, you would not have any reason to try to get your swimming pool privileges reinstated.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is for Juliana. I need to leave this cmputer for now. Will be back in about 2 hours. I did counter with another question which I ask that you kindly reply. Please send it to [email protected] . THANK YOU.
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I think you have a dead issue, and there is no longer any reason for either you, or an attorney acting on your behalf, to pursue the matter.

Juliana and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you