How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Name change at NYS Civil Court - foreign citizens case I

This answer was rated:

Name change at NYS Civil Court - foreign citizen's case

I am filing an adult name change petition for civil court in NYC. The instruction on "documents to be submitted" has no examples for foreign citizens (I am Japanese) - who were born outside of the US and still foreigner- regarding the proof of date and place of birth.
Could you, if you have a definite answer, confirm that foreign documents with governent endorsement and certified translation to prove "date and place of birth" is accepted or not.

Thank you.

Samuel-II :


Samuel-II :

Yes, the court will accept your current immigration documents as well as foriegn documents showing your place and date of birth, etc.

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking either the GREEN ACCEPT or the SMILEY FACE as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you

Samuel II and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you