How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9366
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to do a name change for personal reasons in Chicago,

Customer Question

I would like to do a name change for personal reasons in Chicago, Illinois. But due to other issues in my life, timing is an issue for me. Would it be possible to do all that is legally required including all ID name changes, including passport and birth certificate, etc... by mid-November this year? My life after much problems is on the upswing, I need this done legally of course but soon. All without costing a small fortune.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
The petition form is posted at

The statutes are posted at
Sec. 21-103 requires the first of three weekly publications of notice at least 6 weeks prior to the hearing, so there is no reason you cannot complete this by November.

There is a plain language explanation of how to do this posted at
also has information and seems to have all the forms you might need. also has a sample of the Notice of Publication form. has links to information about this and lets you generate the petition and publication forms on line. This is a free service

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My official address is in Oak Park, Illinois. However I am currently living and working in SW Alaska. I will be in the Chicagoland area for about 2 weeks in mid May then returning to work work in Alaska. I am aware of most of the process and the various requirements. My concern is to be able to find a lawyer or law firm that can under my written request take care of what I cannot during my 2 weeks in the Chicagoland area. I have a strong desire to do this sooner than later but, a name change is not the only issue in my life. All things considered, I cannot take a chance of losing a decent job simply for a name change and thus jeopardizing other aspects of my life. Can you assist me in this fashion? Can you and are you legally able to finish the process for me? I am aware I would likely still need to report for some type of hearing, which if possible I would like to schedule in early to mid November to accomodate other issues I am dealing with. Please get back to me soon. Thank you.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
The Experts here cannot represent you, but you can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed at

You will probably only have to appear in Court one time, and a local attorney can handle the rest of the process for you.

I hope this information is helpful.