Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

GM: AS a mentally ill person, what are my rights and how can

AS a mentally ill person, what are my rights and how can I get away from my family legally, and set legal boundaries so they will leave me alone to live my own life freely?
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, absolutely, answer my question...Dalya
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer did not come.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

I'm truly sorry to hear that you are having problems with your family.

The answer depends on whether there is or is not a court order of Guardianship/Conservatorship that your family member may have over you.

If there is a court order then the only way to remove your family from your life
if by filing a petition with the court asking that either the family member be remove
from having the decision making authority and replaced by another person.

If there is no court order, then you can send a certified letter to your family member
asking to be left alone and if they continue the contact you can go to court to request
a no contact protective order.
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience: Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the procedure in sending a certified letter, and in getting a court order to be left alone, if that becomes necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please tell me the procedure for filing a court order to be left alone. I am not under any guardianship or conservatorship.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer never came
When I stated a certified letter I mean you just ask the family member to not contact you, then take the letter in an envelope to the US Post Office and ask to have the letter send by certified mail with proof of receipt. The postal worker will give you the form to complete.

If you wish to obtain a protective order you would need to go to court and request a petition for an order of protection from the court. The court clerk will give you the correct form. Just make sure you write on the form what activity your family member is doing that you find harassing. You will either be able to see the judge that day or the case will be scheduled for a different day where you can talk to the judge.