Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have 3 kids in my home 1 adopted and 2 I have Permanent managing conservatorship of all

Customer Question

I have 3 kids in my home 1 adopted and 2 I have Permanent managing conservatorship of all with the same mom. She has had another baby and wants to sign over her right to the baby to us to adopt him so that he will be raised with his siblings. What forms does she need to sign to give up her rights to us?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I have 3 kids in my home 1 adopted and 2 I have Permanent managing conservatorship of all with the same mom. She has had another baby and wants to sign over her right to the baby to us to adopt him so that he will be raised with his siblings. What forms does she need to sign to give up her rights to us?

Response: In a situation like this, Adoption package of forms, which includes the Surrender form would be requested from the Clerk's Office at the Courthouse in the County where the Adoption would be filed. The Surrender form (Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights) is the form that the parent would complete giving up her rights to the child and paving the way for the Adoption.

Use the link below to find the proper county:

http://www.courts.state.tx.us/courts/dclinks.asp

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it true that in Texas alone, if the infant is less than 6 months old, if the parents sign over their rights, you don't have to go through a termination trial it is just the court preceding granting the adoption?

Response: This is not true. There are no exceptions. Hearings are scheduled on issue of consent—voluntary relinquishment of parental rights. See Texas Family Code Section 162.010:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.162.htm#162.010

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This answer isn't helpful, because I tought it was that east also, but you can't get those forms in either county that we can process the adoption in. I had already tried that.

Response: Below is adoption package for State of Texas on a commercial web site. So, the forms are not free:

http://www.uslegalforms.com/adoption/texas/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I go about getting my money refunded. Our county doesn't accept those forms. I am going to have to get my own lawyer and have him draw them up.