How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JerrySJD Your Own Question
JerrySJD, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 821
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, support, mediation, alimony
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JerrySJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help me with this. I had my child with me, but my wife

This answer was rated:

Please help me with this. I had my child with me, but my wife followed me, and took her away from me againsts her own will. I had a Baker Act signed by the judge, and I caled l the police. She was Baker Acted, however because my wife said that my child could stay with her grandmother, the police told me that I was not allow to take her because even thought it is my home, and my child since I do not live there I would be breaking the law. There is nothing in court yet about the custody of our child. My child is diabetic, and I am the one who administer her insulin. As per the officer I would have to get a an emergency custody of my child. All of this sounds to me insane. That is my child for God's sake. If I take my daugther with me and my mother in law said no, I could get arrested.
Did they lie to me?
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Yes please I need an answer as soon as possible

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

The Baker Act refers to forced mental examinations and the like. Do you have a custody order? That is what you need. With the wife under the Baker Act, you should get it. You will need to see the results of her examination, since she does appear to be out right now. Where is the wife living? Are you separated?


The insulin issue makes this an emergency. Have you contacted DFS? That might be your first call. Tell them the child was taken from you by the mother in law and that the child is being denied insulin and is in immediate risk. You should also speak with them about custody. If you are living with the wife, custody is problematic, but you need to get a custody order one way or another.


This seems like a DFS case right now. Do you have their contact information?


Here is the site for DFS:


Thank you for using JustAnswer. Please click "Accept". If you need more, just let me know.


JerrySJD, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 821
Experience: Divorce, child custody, support, mediation, alimony
JerrySJD and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you