How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. My name is Rachel. I am attending a settlment conference

Customer Question

Hi. My name is Rachel. I am attending a settlment conference tomorrow in regards XXXXX XXXXX custody modification of my two sons. I was asked by my lawyer to think about what to negotiate. I have already been to trial with their father 2 years ago. I was given sole legal and we were awarded joint physical, but the father lives in iowa and I live in Missouri!! So, here we are, the boys are with me. They see him about twice a month. A GAL was hired this time who has made 2 visits and he reports my teenager would prefer to live in iowa and he reports my 10 year old doesn't care.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA.

How old is the teenager and what is the father asking for.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Teenager, Colton is 17 and is a Junior. He has known he could move to Iowa since his 17th birthday last November, but still lives in Marshall missouri with me. The father is asking for full custody of both boys.


Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Here if the 17 year old wants to move, then agree to that. I see no reason to agree to anything other than some extended visitation for the father. I am assuming that he is the one that moved.