smithlaw1177
smithlaw1177, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Our firm handles all kinds of family law issues including child custody, child support, divorce, and mediating family issues.
65026092

I am filling out a petition to change my legal first and middle

I am filling out a petition to change my legal first and middle name from Mary Constance to Conni. I understand that I need to provide my birth certificate which has my maiden name on it. I have been married and divorced 10 years ago. After the divorce I kept my married name. I wish to continue using my married name. Do I need to provide proof of my marriage and divorce?

smithlaw1177 :

Hello, I will be glad to help you. I had this happen to a client of mine and we just had to take the divorce decree up to the judges office and they took care of it!! Good Luck!

Customer:

Do you mean bring it to the judges office after the 30 day wait period from filing the petition?

smithlaw1177 :

No, I filed it as an exhibit with the birth certificate.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you very much.