How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Nassau county NY, I am filling stepparent forms on

This answer was rated:

I live in Nassau county NY, I am filling stepparent forms on my own so my husband can adopt my son, I need to serve the biological father with papers because he won't sign the consent form, I have grounds to terminate his parental rights, he hasn't paid child support in over 1 year and never met him. After I serve him with the correct papers which form do I need to present the court as proof of serving him?
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You will need to file what is known as an affidavit of service with the court. The papers have to be served by a third party, you cannot serve them. The best way is to retain a professional process server and they will correctly fill out the form so that it can be submitted to the court.

Here are the NY court forms
lwpat and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you