How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if my ex husband has been asked to pay $1500 a month in child

Resolved Question:

if my ex husband has been asked to pay $1500 a month in child support, what would that make his yearly salary, according to the MA child support guidelines?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

It isn't quite as simple as taking the support obligation and then using that to calculate the income. As you may know, the calculation is don the other way, starting with the income and then arriving at support.


The Massachusetts guidelines take a variety of factors into consideration. These factors include the number of children, the ages of the children, the income of the custodial parent, costs of health insurance and, of course, the non-custodial parent's income.


Additionally, Massachusetts uses a percentage within its guidelines calculations as well. Massachusetts starts with a "basic order" as a starting point. According to the basic order percentages, a non-custodial parents obligation for one child should be between 21 and 25 percent of income. For two children, the range is 24 to 30 percent. For three children, it is 27 to 33 percent.


With all this in mind, and based on the information provided, it would be impossible to give a reliable calculation as to his income. Having said that, when the calculation was completed, you should have had his financial disclosure. This would include paystubs, tax returns and other documents that would have shown his income.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you