How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In regards XXXXX XXXXX domestic relationship from my understanding

Resolved Question:

In regards XXXXX XXXXX domestic relationship from my understanding in the state of NJ one would have to file some sort of registration with the state which includes for example opening some sort of joint bank account. If my father has a girl friend that stays with him on most days is there anyway she could legally be entitled to any of his assets, e.g., home if she is not included on the deed nor provisioned in his will as part of his estate?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

I believe you are referring to the domestic partnership laws enacted by New Jersey, as well as several other states. The purpose of these statutes is to permit couples that are living together as if in a marriage to obtain benefits such as medical coverage.


However, these laws do not actually create a marriage. Further, as New Jersey does not recognize common law marriages, the partner does not obtain any benefits of a marriage. This would include obtaining an ownership interest in property. Meaning, absent an actual marriage, a quit-claim deed or adding her name to the mortgage, the partner would not obtain any interest in the home.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you