How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorneyPA Your Own Question
FamilyAttorneyPA, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 45
Experience:  I am licensed by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania to practice law in PA.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorneyPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Daughter going through messy divorce. Brother in law called

This answer was rated:

Daughter going through messy divorce. Brother in law called soon to be divorced ex and his mom and dad and told them lies about her regarding cheating (all lies) because he was mad at her sister. What can we do about him?????
According to Indiana statute, there are four elements to a claim for defamation:

  1. A communication with defamatory imputation;
  2. Malice;
  3. Publication; and,
  4. Damages.

If if the brother in law called other family members and told them fabrications of the reason for the divorce, it will be hard to convince a Court that your daughter has been "damaged" to a level which would rise to her having the ability to bring a claim for defamation.


The other option is to bring a claim for "defamation per se". In Indiana, a communication constitutes defamation per se if it is regarding criminal conduct, a loathsome disease, misconduct in a person's profession or occupation; or, sexual misconduct. If a claim is seeking defamation per se, actual damages do not need to be proven.


If my answer has assisted you, please click the "Accept" button so that I may be compensated for my time and services. Thank you for using JustAnswer!

FamilyAttorneyPA and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you