How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Earlier you answered child support question about my 17 yr.

Resolved Question:

Earlier you answered child support question about my 17 yr. old son. I also pay for my 20 yr. old daughter who recently obtained Assoc. degree and now started 2nd AAS degree program. While in college she worked and maintained an apartment with her boyfriend. Her mom convinced her to quit job move back in and just do school. Afterwards told her to pay own car insurance and demanded rent money. (also wants her to become stripper on weekends for income) The pressure resulted in panic attacks and meds prescribed for my daughter. How long must I pay child support to mother who does not really help my daughter. Both children hate living with her. I told daughter would help get own apt. if I could end support.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
This is the problem with states that allow child support for adult children. Most jurisdictions are only until 18 or 19 or graduation from high school but several are still in the dark ages until 21 so in order to end the support you need to file a motion with the court. If your daughter is 20 she is an adult and can live whereever she please. She has all the rights and responsibilities as any other adult with the possible exception of consuming or possessing alcohol. So if she wants to move out and be on her own that is her right but, as in the case of your son, you must get a court order to terminate the child support.
Dave Kennett and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions