How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am legally married but living in a separate house from

Customer Question

If I am legally married but living in a separate house from my husband and there has been no division of assets he is living in a house owned by both of us and me in another one. I would like to know if I cause damage to his car (dents) which is in both of our names can I get arrested for damaging my own property?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did you cause the damage on purpose or just in a car accident?

Please explain the circumstances.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not cause the damage but I want to. I want to know if I can not be held liable since I own the car too
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If you are both on the title you can be held responsible for half the damage and if you take violent action you can be charged with criminal mischief. I would strongly advise you not to intentionally destroy property unless you re the only owner of the property. It certainly is not a way to solve any problems between the two of you.

Related Family Law Questions