How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend lives in colarado and his ex wife with his son is

Resolved Question:

my friend lives in colarado and his ex wife with his son is in arizona. she is living with somebody who is a alcholic. he beleaves that his son is not being treated right and wants to get cusdoty of his son. where should he file in colarado where he lives or in arizona. the boy is ten years old?. origanally the divorce was in florida where he lived at the time. he pays child support in florida
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear boblandola - The jurisdiction would be where the child lives so he would have to file in AZ. Assuming there is court ordered visitation from the FL courts then he can simply have the case transferred to AZ pursuant to the Uniform Child Custody Act and then file his motion for a change of custody in AZ. The court bases its decision on the "best interests if the child" so if he can show that it is in the bet interests of his child to live with him then he can get the custody changed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can he go to child services and have them check on his son?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Of course he can contact child services and express his concerns. If child services removes the child he can ask them for custody although it may be more difficult because if him living out of state.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you