How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex girlfriend is having my baby. Everything was fine and

Resolved Question:

My ex girlfriend is having my baby. Everything was fine and then two months into it she has broken up with me and won't even talk to me now. 7 more months to go and now I don't know what to do. I pay half of the doctor bills and anything else baby related. What are my parental rights now and when the baby is born. She doesn't want me to have a say in anything (babies name) We made love on Saturday and she cut me out on Monday. Its been a week and a half. I gave her some space. I tried to call her once but she won't talk to me. I don't know what my rights are in this situation. I am 44 have no other kids and want to have this child in my life as much as I can.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


You have no rights until the child is born essentially because you cannot legally prove that the child is actually yours. Thus, you can't really do anything until the child is born, and at that time, you can file a petition in court to establish paternity (DNA test) and then seek to have your name placed on the birth certificate, give the child your last name, establish visitation, etc.


However, you unfortunately cannot take much action until the child is born.

Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you