How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband wanted a divorce and we got married in the U.S.We

This answer was rated:

my husband wanted a divorce and we got married in the U.S.We have property in Texas and it was named by my maiden name,since we bought it before we got marry.Also we are living now in Philippines...It 's been a year an a half since the time that we got here...He is serving me with a Guam divorce paper where he wanted me to sign and take it embassy and then he will take it to guam and stay there for a week ,since that was one of the requirement....Now my question is.....Would that be legal and honored? And what about our property in Texas under my maiden last name? We still have a loan to it and it is occupied by our tenant....What would be the best processess to this matter?We also have big issuesmI wanted to address....Please help.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

As to the house in Texas, you indicate that "we" bought it even though it is in your name. There is also a loan on it and I am not sure whether it is in both names or just yours. However, you do not need to agree to anything until there is a settlement on the house. If he takes the house, it needs to be refinanced in his name only and you do not need to sign anything until that is done. If you are keeping the house, you need to have him sign a quit claim deed to you and have it recorded in the courthouse in Texas before the divorce. The two of you could also agree to sell. That is all up to whatever you can agree on. However, Guam does not have any jurisdiction over the house in Texas. Any action would have to be in Texas if the two of you cannot agree.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions