Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband and I have been married for 35 years. Our amicable

Customer Question
divorce is in process with...
My husband and I have been married for 35 years. Our amicable divorce is in process with all papers signed and only his appearance with his lawyer before the judge around May 10th to formal end our marriage.

We live in Texas.
If he decides not to take that last step, what are my recourses and/or what is my position - am I still married and liable for any bills he may run up?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2012
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
You are still married until the judge signs the divorce decree and could still be liable for debt. In some states being separated stops community property from accumulating and community debt but that is not the case in Texas.

If he doesn't go forward then you would need to appear with your own lawyer to complete it. However, he can show up and say "non-suit" and if you haven't counterfiled a petition for divorce then the judge just dismisses and you have to start all over with the 60 day waiting period and everything.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer