How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Indiana and have Joint Custody with my sons mother.

Resolved Question:

I live in Indiana and have Joint Custody with my sons mother. He has lived with me since he was born, whether I was living with her or not. She is unfit and I will not go into details. She hasn't seen him or called to check on him in 4 months. I am wondering if i can file for abandonment and get full custody just on the grounds of her being in contempt of court not taking him half the week, like she is suppose to, or for the fact that she has no contact with him.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

I am the expert that will be assisting you today. Thank you for your question.

If my answer is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You can consider petitioning the court for modification to the parenting plan to reflect the current living and parenting situation thereby awarding you full custody. Abandonment is only necessary to prove if you would like to terminate her parental rights in order to do a stepparent adoption

Custody is subject to modification at any time there is a substantial change in circumstances that affects the best interest of the child.All matters involving children are determined according to what the court divines to be the best interest of the child. The mother's noninvolvement would suffice as such a substantial change in circumstances to warrant a modification.

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Ellen and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you