How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daighers dad has a son who is 16 I am not sure but I beleived

Resolved Question:

My daighers dad has a son who is 16 I am not sure but I beleived he signed his rights over to the mother when his son wass two. Would the courts consider that neglect? Reason why I am asking is because he is trying to get full custody of her or is threatening to at least
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.

Hello there:


Thank you for your question. To rephrase, the question is whether a parent surrendering his rights to his two year old child would constitute neglect. I will start by saying that, because the nuances of every case are different, you should not rely on this information as advice or apply it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.


Neglect is when the child is at risk from lack of care, or where the child is harmed due to lack of care. Surrendering one's custodial or parental rights is not neglect. It obviously isn't strong parenting, but it does not endanger or harm the child.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Please remember to click accept once you are finished. Thank you.

Brandon M. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you