Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

my wife parents paid off our house and put the house in her

my wife parents paid off our house and put the house in her name. they did not consider my money invested in the house. now she wants me to pay half the property taxes each year. i said no. she owns the house not me. what is your opinion. thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If the property is solely in her name AND you signed an agreement under which you have agreed to have her have the home without you contesting it, the home is solely hers and as a consequence solely her responsibility to pay the taxes. However, if you are still married, it is irrelevant if the home is solely under her name--under CA law you remain half-owner of the property based on community property laws. That still does not make you responsible for paying the taxes until and if the property is formally listed under your name as well.

Good luck.