How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a non-custodial parent of a 16 year old male in Lake County,

This answer was rated:

I am a non-custodial parent of a 16 year old male in Lake County, IL. His mom just got married. Does this release me from child support obligation?
Thank you for your question.

The answer is "no". Child support is only released if the child becomes "of age" (turns 18), finishes high school, or when the court order deems your obligation to stop in this instance. Child support is not based on marriage of the other parent, while alimony and spousal support can end at re-marriage, child support is different as it is based on the benefit for the child, not the parent.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you