How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I see on the circuit court system my counter claim for limited

Resolved Question:

I see on the circuit court system my counter claim for limited divorce, financial statement being filed. It does not list pendente lite filing. No hearing ever scheduled. I also, see motions hearing requested (spouses 401k missed in divorce degree), do not see motion for earnings was filed. Attorney states that my ex is in contempt. Another divorce attorney stated my attorney was dilatory. How do I proceed?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:


I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.


My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:


1. When you receive my answer, please kindly click the ACCEPT button. This is the case regardless of whether you are paying for just one question or are using any type of subscription plan or promotional offer. Doing so does not terminate our dialog. I will gladly continue our discussion, without additional charge, if needed. I receive no wages or salary for my time.


2. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.


3. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.


4. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.


5. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.


6. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.


7. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.


QUESTION: "How do I proceed?"


ANSWER: Pursuant to the Rules of professional Conduct, you have a right to be kept reasonably informed of the status of your case. Communication is a huge trust (or sometimes unfortunately mistrust) component of the attorney-client relationship. Obviously, as you have astutely identified, what you have been told has been filed, and what the docketing system shows has indeed been filed, should all match up. Otherwise, you have good cause for concern. Having said all of that, here is how I would proceed. First, obtain two things from your current legal counsel: (1) your complete file; and (2) his or her explanation as to each of your questions. Place both of these in a written request outlining your demand for your file and for adequate answers to each of your individual questions (i.e. You told me you had filed document X on such and such date. Did that happen? How do you explain the fact that the online system does not show such filing?). Should your lawyer fail to satisfy you within a reasonable time frame, your next step would be to seek formal intervention from the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission: Complaint Form.


I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.


Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!


[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

LawHelpNow and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yikes, I terminated my attorney services yesterday as, I have had enough. It's been eight months and the QDRO has not been completed and filed for ex pension. She changed law firms midway and gave herself a raise. She responded back early this morning. I called the office, she answered, recognizing it was her, I asked for her by name and she responded by saying she was not there! A simple itemized bill to close out the account would have been more appropriate. How do I get my file and answers given that information? I live in Cecil Co., MD and I could not locate a attorney here specializing in legal malpractice on an internet search. Know of any in Harford Co, Cecil Co., or Baltimore?