lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

I have temporary custody of a grandchild. both parents are

I have temporary custody of a grandchild. both parents are in prison. one for life and the other for several more years. the child is three years old. she does not know her parents. does the relocation law apply to me? the custody papers say nothing about visitation rights
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

If they have no visitation rights and there is nothing in the court order preventing you from moving, then you can move. There may be something in the standard restrictions if there are any in the order. At most you would have to go back to court and ask permission but if there is nothing contrary in the order you do not have to do that unless child protective services is still active in the case. If so, contact the caseworker.