How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have temporary custody of a grandchild. both parents are

Resolved Question:

I have temporary custody of a grandchild. both parents are in prison. one for life and the other for several more years. the child is three years old. she does not know her parents. does the relocation law apply to me? the custody papers say nothing about visitation rights
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

If they have no visitation rights and there is nothing in the court order preventing you from moving, then you can move. There may be something in the standard restrictions if there are any in the order. At most you would have to go back to court and ask permission but if there is nothing contrary in the order you do not have to do that unless child protective services is still active in the case. If so, contact the caseworker.
lwpat and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you