How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

single father wants child custody arrangement- how do I proceed? Can we set it up through

Resolved Question:

single father wants child custody arrangement- how do I proceed? Can we set it up through a mediator- does it have to go to court? where do I find a mediator- toms river, nj
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. To rephrase, the question is how to initiate the process to get a custody order in New Jersey, and if mediation is an alternative to going through the court. I will start by saying that you should not rely on this information as advice or apply it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.


That said, this forms packet is designed for unmarried parents seeking child custody:


Mediation is always possible in lieu of a contentious court case. The parties can mediate before or after starting a court case. However, any mediated agreement must be ordered by the court to be enforceable. So, if the parties want their mediated agreement to be enforceable, they would need to file for child custody anyway and just ask the court to adopt the agreement as an order.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Please remember to click accept once you are finished. Thank you.

Brandon M. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you