Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I owe child support for my son, He is now 23 years old. The…

I owe child support for...
I owe child support for my son, He is now 23 years old.
The amount was trippled for som reason? I am Austrian and live in Austria.
What can I do and can I enter the US without a possible problem?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2012
InformationForYou
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney

InformationForYou :

Was the monthly amount (when he was a minor) $239/month?

Customer:

Untill he was 13. Than it trippled.

Customer:

Yes, in 2002.

Customer:

It trippled when he was 13 because of a court hearing I did not attend because I live in Austria.

InformationForYou :

I understand.

InformationForYou :

I am not positive why it tripled, but presumably if you weren't present, it increased for one of two reasons (or combined, both of these reasons):

InformationForYou :

1. She got what she sought as far as an amount of support as you weren't present to defend/contradict what she wanted; and/or

InformationForYou :

2. Part of it was for arrearages- not just current, ongoing support but also back support due.

InformationForYou :

I assume the state the order was entered was in FL.

InformationForYou :

What state were you going to enter?

Customer:

Yes, Broward County Courts.

InformationForYou :

What state were you going to upon your intended return to the U.S.?

Customer:

I was told to enter a nother state from Europe and than an inland flight.

Customer:

I guess NY or so?

InformationForYou :

And from NY are you eventually going to FL?

Customer:

But I would like to make a deal thats correct and make payments to take care of it if possible.

Customer:

Yes I would like to visit my son there. He wants to see me!

InformationForYou :

If you go to FL, she can have you served the second you step foot in the U.S.

InformationForYou :

If you then fail to follow through with that court hearing, an arrest warrant would likely be issued and would remain anytime you came back.

Customer:

Thats what I would like to elliminate by sricking a deal first.

InformationForYou :

Is child support enforcement involved?

Customer:

I got notice that my driverslicense was revoked in 2003. So I guess so.

Customer:

I would go to court if I could. But I do not want to get arrested for something I didnt do.

InformationForYou :

Yes, if your driver's license was revoked, they are involved.

InformationForYou :

The problem is this: they have a court order as to what you owe.

InformationForYou :

There is no reason for them to take a lump sum payment UNLESS it is large enuogh to make it wort it.

InformationForYou :

AND

InformationForYou :

at this point you would need both child support enforcement and the mo to agree to the lump sum payment.

Customer:

Should I talk with his mother?

InformationForYou :

Yes, you could try - but you must have child support enforcement agree to any new provision and that new provision needs to be in a new court order.

Customer:

The amount on file should be 16,000 but it is 54,000. What would be a lump sum for that?

InformationForYou :

An agreement between you and the mom won't mean anything -

InformationForYou :

the court order will be all that matters UNLESS

InformationForYou :

you get a new court order saying something different.

Customer:

Child support enforcement are not the nices or smartest people? How do I deal with them?

Customer:

I know thats a tough question.

InformationForYou :

You would deal with them AFTER you have an agreement with the mother.

InformationForYou :

How much are you paying per month now (not court ordered but actually paying her)?

Customer:

So you think its a good idea to deal with her first?

Customer:

Can I go to Florida to do that?

Customer:

Sorry didnt see the last part. I have not made a payment to anyone, because I felt railroaded by her and the system.

InformationForYou :

If you step into FL it is the same problem as before - you could deall with her online (email).

InformationForYou :

If you haven't paid her at all...you could suggest a lump sum payment of $10k. I'm not sure she'd accept but worth a try.

InformationForYou :

YOu may want to offer less than is your max so she has wiggle room to ask for more.

Customer:

I am over that now and ready to get this out of the way. Problem is that I only have very limited fund.

InformationForYou :

(And I wouldn't mention you were going to come to the U.S. - because then she'll wonderhow you have the assets for a plane ticket

Customer:

Nothing saved and about $1,300 per month income.

Customer:

A cheap ticket costs $500. To see my son?!

Customer:

You are great help. I really appreciate this input!!!

InformationForYou :

I know...but she'd tell a judge that you haven't paid her anything. (If your son's schedule could work it out, it would be better if you paid for his ticket to see you).

Customer:

I may be able to get about 5 or $6,000 to get started, from friends and family that want to help me.

Customer:

I was affraid you were going to say that.

Customer:

I cant believe there is no way to fix this unfortunite mess. All was fine till she needed more money because of a third child she got with someonr? I still dont get that part.

Customer:

So so I talk with her over internet to see what her stand point is now. We just have not communicated, not bad and not good. So it may be good?

InformationForYou :

It certainly may be good...at this point she has nothing.

InformationForYou :

Dollars to her upfront are better than nothing.

Customer:

Should I continue now to make paymets to her or to the CSSystem? the $239, thats all thats possible now and thats all that was possible than.

InformationForYou :

It depends what the deal is that you work out.

InformationForYou :

So the process is:

InformationForYou :

a) try to work out a deal with her;

InformationForYou :

b) if you do, talk to support enforcement to see if they will sign off on an agreed order;

InformationForYou :

c) have an agreed order prepared - probably with a lawyer if you can - that she signs off on, you sign off on/your lawyer signs off on, AND child support enforcement signs off on.

InformationForYou :

The order will note that upon a lump sum payment of x-dollars the arrearage is waived, the judgment is satisfied and you owe nothing else and child support enforcement will be out of the case, the case is closed and your license is returned.

InformationForYou :

Good luck and I hope it works out.

Customer:

Thats what I will do. Thank you so much!

Customer:

How can I recal our chat, can you email it to [email protected]

InformationForYou :

Emails don't show up...but once you click acceptto give me credit for responding...you should be able to view it. At any time. If not, email customer service. (I

InformationForYou :

I've never had a customer be unable to see it ...so it should be fairly easy to do).

InformationForYou :

Please click accept so that I receive appropriate credit - and it will end our chat. Again, good luck!

InformationForYou
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney

I have an immigration question.

Once I take care of the child support situation, I plan to move to Florida

to be with my son. What do I need to do and how do I apply for residency?

You need to post a new question in the immigration section.

I went to this website for answers to legal questions, like the child support one.

Can you get me to an immigration specialist to answer some of my questions please.

Thank you