Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

can i file a petition to my fiance now.while my divorce is…

Customer Question
can i file a petition...
can i file a petition to my fiance now.while my divorce is still in process, but i had already the dated when i can remarry again..!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/10/2012
Family Lawyer: Joseph, Family Law Attorney replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

- Are you asking about filing for a marriage license or for citizenship?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

actually I'm filling a divorce to my wife, and still in process..! but i had a girlfriend in other country and i want to file a petition to her as a k1 visa and i can't do it because my married is still not end yet..i mean still in process..! my question is.... can i file a petition to my girlfriend now..? while my divorce is still in process because i don't want waste too much time..while waiting for the court what is the final judgement is..

That is a question for an immigration attorney. As I do not handle immigration matters, I will send your question to the correct section. It may be some time before an appropriate expert is able to address your question. There is no need to wait on-line as an email will be sent to you when an expert in that area is available.

There is no need to respond to this post as it will only be sent to me.

Thank you for your patience and good luck!

Family Lawyer: jludwic, Attorney replied 6 years ago
jludwic
jludwic, Attorney

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

I am an immigration law expert.

You have to have a final decree of divorce at the time you file the fiance visa petition. The law requires that at the time you file that you are free to marry. You are not free to marry until the divorce and appeal period is completed.

Judith

If I answered your question please leave positive feedback, if I earned a BONUS, it is appreciated.

Please feel free to ask me another question with a new thread - if you're a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. You can bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-askimmigrationlaw/

If you want to request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer quickly.

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.