How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David L Your Own Question
David L
David L, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3255
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
David L is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated from my husband (not legally), we have two children,

Customer Question

I am separated from my husband (not legally), we have two children, a home and a mortgage. He is now living elsewhere. What are my rights? We had previously agreed to try and handle this without lawyers but I bellieve it is going to get heated. What advise do you have?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Since you are living apart, have separated your finances and you appear to have agreed to keep the home and make the payments, you may only have few issues left to resolve. If so, you may be able to do an agreed divorce and save the time, expense and heartache of a prolonged proceeding. The big question is what open issues remain and are they big issues or can they be resolved between the two of you. If all property is divided and the remaining issues relate to the kids, will he agree for them to maintain residence with you? If so, or if you can work out a reasonable compromise, then you may have all issues resolved. What are the remaining open issues and can they be resolved?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's now more a personal property issue. He owns a DJ business and I bought some of the equipment. Do I need receipts for these items, what about gifts bought, yes he is with someone else right now and I am a woman scorned...this may change but I wanto to make sure I get what is rightfuly mine.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Receipts are good or you can show proof through canceled checks, etc., if need be. Gifts would generally remain with the person who received the gift.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I bought the DJ equipment for his business and it was not a gift should I have ownership of the equipment?

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
If it was purchased with marital funds, then you would most likely be entitled to one half the value of the equipment.
David L and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ii was purchased via my credit card, of which I am still paying on.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry. I am working on a number of questions. Would you still like for me to answer your last question?

Related Family Law Questions