How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in mass. i am separated. i have one daughter age 3.

Resolved Question:

i live in mass. i am separated. i have one daughter age 3. my wife earns 89,000. I earn 54,000. how much will i have to pay in child support? there are no current child support or other court involvement. i believe my wife will try to obtain a custody arraingment in which i will only have my daughter on a weekend basis.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Under Massachusetts law, child support is based on the combined income of both parents. The fact that your wife earns more than you will work in your favor. This is the worksheet that you would submit to the court if you were to set it up through them, so that's your starting point. (Side note: When you file it, it's supposed to be printed on blue paper. The courthouse also has them.)

Two other things that might help. FIrst, Massachusetts has all of the forms that you need online to go through the divorce process, so you don't need to hire a lawyer. Second, we have a program called Lawyer of the Day, which is where there is a lawyer at the courthouse who can help you fill them out. It differs by location, so you may need to call your local probate court. For example, in Boston, you only get 15 minute appointments (they're just too busy).
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions