Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
11688690

MY DAD IS IN A NURSING HOME RIGHT NOW. AND THEY ARE TELLING

MY DAD IS IN A NURSING HOME RIGHT NOW. AND THEY ARE TELLING ME THAT HE CAN'T COME HOME UNLESS HE HAS 24 HR CARE. NOW THEY WANT ME TO SIGN HIS SS CHECK OVER TO THEM. HE HAS 2 MORAGES ON THE HOUSE, HIS SS CHECK MAKES BOTH OF THOSE PAYMENTS. I AM LIVING IN THE HOUSE TAKING CARE OF THE PROPERTY AND KEEPING EVERYTHING PAID. BUT I CAN'T AFFORD THE PAYMENTS HE HAS AGAINST THE HOUSE. AND FOR WHAT THEIR CHARGING HIM A DAY I FEEL HE SHOULD BE GETTING BETTER CARE THEN HE IS. I WENT IN LAST NIGHT AND THEY ONLY HAD 2 AIDES WORKING.I HAD TO GIVE MY DAD A BATH, BECAUSE THEY WERE SHORT HANDED. THIS IS EVERY WEEK.HE SITS IN A WHEEL CHAIR FROM THE TIME HE GETS OUT OF BED TIL HE GOES TO BED,SOMETIMES IT COULD BE 9:00PM SOMETIMES LATER. I AM GOING TO TRY AND SELL THE HOUSE,BUT IT NEEDS ALOT OF WORK.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
That is usual and customary - that for personal care nursing that they would require them to sign over their SS checks.

If he doesn't do that - then he must have long term nursing care insurance to pay for such OR pay for the care from their savings.

The costs and expenses will get even worse if he goes into skilled care - then he will have to deal with medicaid.